Ellie & Bea's Candle Tips
An Ellie & Bea candle has been designed to burn cleanly, evenly and effortlessly so that you can enjoy the glow longer. Here are a few simple ways to get the most from your candle:
- Before the first light, make sure you have 3-4 hours available for the candle to burn while attended. We know it is exciting to want to light your candle right away, but this is the most important step!
- Place your candle on a flat, flame retardant surface, away from drafts, children, pets, curtains, furniture, etc. Use common sense.
- Light your candle with a long fireplace match or grill lighter. This is recommended, as short matches will likely burn your fingers and the glass, creating an unsightly black film.
- Now this is the best part…Did you know that soy has memory? It’s really smart! Here’s why: When lighting your candle for the first time, and each time thereafter, allow the wax to melt all the way out to the diameter of it’s container. Once the melted wax reaches the glass, allow it to melt until 1/4” deep. This is called a melt pool. This is also where all of that fragrant aroma is released. If you cannot smell the aroma, it means that the container is too small for the area. Consider placing a couple of candles in one room to increase it’s aromatic benefit.
- Keep your wick trimmed to 1/4”. Occasionally, mushrooming may occur. This is okay and simply means that there is a build up of carbon or a draft. After the candle is extinguished, allow wick to harden and carefully trim to 1/4”. Do not allow wick trimming to fall into wax, as this can create a fire hazard!
- Your soy candle is dye free. This does not mean that soy remains white. Dependent upon the fragrance, soy can take on different hues of white, cream and sometimes yellow. Rest assured that this is due to the fragrance used.
- Keep your candle protected from light. We do not use additives or chemical stabilizers, which means that if exposed to long periods of UV light or fluorescent lighting your candle may turn yellow. None of which effects the performance of our product.
- Discard your candle once the remaining wax reaches 1/2” deep.
- Soy is a living organism. It continues to expand, contract and change from its current form. It may also look frosted. These ‘flaws’ are normal and it is a clear indication that you have purchased a 100% all natural soy candle. Hey, we can’t all be perfect!
Now that you have read the basics, you are a clean-burning, well-educated soy candle pro!